Find retreats across Thailand offering meditation as part of their detox program and wellness program.
The practice of meditation dates back several thousand years, based on Eastern philosophy. The ethos of the practice is to attain a state of thoughtless awareness. Over recent years meditation has gained popularity in Western culture as an effective means of reducing stress levels and regaining personal balance.
Meditation is not a religious belief, exercise or practice in concentration, the aim of meditation is to clear the mind of thoughts and allow oneself to be completely present in the moment.
Many retreats across Thailand include meditation as a holistic approach to self-healing and stress management; through guided meditation sessions retreaters are able to learn the skills required for self-practice upon their return home.
Scientific research has shown that there are many physical as well as mental benefits to a daily meditation practice.
- Increases blood flow and lowers the heart rate.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
- Decreases muscle tension.
- Helps with the management of chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
- Aids post-operative healing.
- Enhances energy, strength, and vigor.
- Aids with weight loss.
- Lowers cholesterol levels and lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Aids headaches and migraines.
- Improved brain function and organization.
- Harmonizes the endocrine system.
- Relaxes the nervous system.
- Aids focus and concentration.
- Increases vitality and rejuvenation.
- Increases emotional stability.
- Aids in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction.